Happy Chinese new year! This is absolutely my FAVOURITE savoury nibble to have on CNY (my other would be sesame balls). I remember that my grandmother and my aunties would all make it differently and would run out from the kitchen with a new batch of pan-fried crispy turnip cake slices every 30 minutes. This would go on for the entire afternoon and by the end of it everyone was rolling out the apartment doors.
Calories: 130 kcal | Protein: 4 g
120g Chinese sausage
60g Chinese mushrooms
60g dried shrimp
3 tsp salt
480ml mushroom water
240g rice flour
50g wheat starch
1 tsp ground white pepper
4 tsp sesame oil
1. Soak the dried mushroom and dried shrimps until hydrated. Keep the mushroom water after soaking.
2. Prepare the turnips by shredding ¾ using a grater and cut the remaining ¼ into small strips to add texture.
3. Cut the mushrooms and dried shrimp into small pieces
4. Soak the Chinese sausages in hot water for 10 minutes, remove the casing and dice into small pieces.
5. Pan-fry the Chinese sausage in a big pan until fragrant. Add the dried shrimps and mushrooms for a few minutes. Set aside.
6. Add turnip into the big pan and a small amount of mushroom water. Cook over low heat until the turnip turns translucent.
7. Add the dried shrimp, mushroom and sausage to the pan and combine together.
8. Mix all the ingredients as above to form a flour mixture using a bowl or measuring cup. Add the mixture to the turnip gradually and combine well.
9. Find a big container and brush oil on the surface of the container.
10. Place the turnip mixture into the container.
11. Cover with aluminium foil and steam over medium heat for 1 hour.
12. Let it cool down and place it into the refrigerator for a few hours once cool enough.
There your turnip cake can be stored before cooking!
Cut turnip cake into slices and pan fry both sides until it becomes golden and crispy. Serve with some spring onions, white pepper and sweet soy sauce as desired!