Do you like pad thai? The name means “Thai-style stir-fried noodles”.
It’s my go-to Thai dishes as its simple to make and can be very nutritious – you’ve got a variety of veggies in, a protein source and carbohydrates to keep you going.
It sometimes can be difficult to obtain some of the ingredients at a mainstream supermarket e.g. tamarind paste so this has been adapted to more common products found in mainstream supermarkets.
Calories: 380 kcal | Protein: 28 g
4 portions of thick rice noodles
2 large shallots
4 tbsp oil
2 limes or use 4 tbsp lime juice
4 garlic cloves
4 spring onion stalks
6 tbsp fish sauce
6 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp rice wine vinegar or 6 tbsp mirin or 2 tbsp tamarind paste with 4 tbsp water
2 tsp soy sauce
Or tofu (veggie)
1. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions until slightly soft and set aside.
2. Chop the garlic, onion, shallot and ginger and set aside.
3. Whisk the eggs in a bowl and add 3 pinches of salt and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, prepare the pad thai sauce by combining fish sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce and set aside.
5. Slice the chicken into thin strips and season with salt and pepper. Heat up the wok with 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat and sear the chicken. Set aside and wipe out the pan.
6. Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in the same wok over medium heat and add onion, shallot, garlic and ginger for 3 minutes until golden.
7. Add the eggs to the wok and scramble them, incorporating them into the mixture
TIP for the next step: If cooking for 4, I would suggest cooking in 2 batches as it would be difficult to incorporate all the noodles in the same wok or pan! It is easy to overcook or undercook these noodles. So set aside 1/2 the egg mixture, sauce and vegetables for the second batch. Put the first batch into the oven to keep it warm.
8. Add the drained noodles and toss it with the egg mixture, frying for 3-4 minutes until the noodles become soft.
9. Add the pad thai sauce and cook for a minute.
10. Add the bean sprouts, carrots and roasted peanuts.
11. Adjust accordingly with lime juice, salt and sugar.
12. Divide the portions accordingly and garnish with spring onions, parsley, carrots lime and roasted peanuts.